Learn More >

Ministry Status: Activation Status

Ontario Public Drug Programs

Glossary – N

This glossary provides brief explanations of terms used in the Ontario Public Drug Programs web pages. To access a term definition, select the appropriate letter from the alphabet below.

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z
National Pharmaceutical Strategy (NPS)

In September 2004, Canada’s First Ministers directed their Health Ministers to establish a Ministerial Task Force to develop a National Pharmaceuticals Strategy, as part of the 2004 10-Year Plan to Strengthen Health Care. The five priorities of the Strategy are: Real World Safety and Effectiveness, Expensive Drugs for Rare Diseases.

Drug Pricing and Purchasing Strategies (bulk purchasing and potential negotiations), Catastrophic Drug Coverage, and Common Formulary (expansion of CDR).

NDPF

See New Drug Funding Program

New Chemical Entity (NCE)

A compound that has not previously been described in the literature or marketed in Canada, or which Health Canada has not previously approved for sale in Canada.

New Drug Funding Program (NDFP)

The NDFP is administered by Cancer Care Ontario on behalf of the Ministry of Health and Long-Term Care, and provides about 75% of the overall funding for intravenous cancer drugs. NDFP funding is for new and approved intravenous cancer drugs administered in hospitals. The other 25% is for older drugs approved before the NDFP was created and is covered by the hospitals' budgets.

NOC or NOC/c

See Notice of Compliance or Notice of Compliance with Conditions

Non-inferiority study

Non-inferiority studies are designed to show that the effect of a new treatment is not worse than that of another treatment (e.g. an established standard) by more than a specified margin.

Non-inferiority studies differ from superiority studies, which assess whether one treatment is better than another, and equivalence studies (typically bioequivalence studies), which assess whether two treatments are equal within a specified margin.
Notice of Compliance or Notice of Compliance with Conditions

The notice that Health Canada provides to manufacturers authorizing them to market a drug, sometimes under specific conditions.

NPS

See National Pharmaceutical Strategy

For More Information

Call ServiceOntario, Infoline at:
1-866-532-3161 (Toll-free)
In Toronto, (416) 314-5518
TTY 1-800-387-5559.
In Toronto, TTY 416-327-4282
Hours of operation : Monday to Friday, 8:30am - 5:00pm