MedsCheck Program for Ontarians living with Diabetes
The MedsCheck Diabetes service is provided to patients living with type 1 or type 2 diabetes and is an opportunity to engage your patients in a focused medication review including advice, training, monitoring and education on diabetes. As many patients living with diabetes may have other medical conditions, pharmacists are expected to provide advice on overall therapy management as well as for diabetes.
The objectives of the MedsCheck Diabetes Program include:
- Promoting healthier patient outcomes and self-management of the disease
- Improving and optimizing drug therapy and improved lifestyle
- Achieving safe, effective and appropriate use of all types of medications, medication devices and supplies
- Ensuring proper disposal of unused and/or expired medication
- Aligning with the ministry’s diabetes strategy
- Any Ontarian with a valid Ontario Health Card, living in Ontario, and diagnosed with type 1 or type 2 diabetes
- Not required to be taking 3 chronic prescription medications but patient must be diagnosed with either type 1 or type 2 diabetes and taking medication for their condition
Conducting MedsCheck Diabetes:
- Assessment conducted at the pharmacy
- Assessment summary requires the date and signatures of patient, pharmacist, or supervising pharmacist (if an intern or student conducted the assessment)
- Regulated Pharmacy Technicians who assist in medical device training may also sign the assessment summary
- Documentation must be maintained on site at the pharmacy for a minimum of not less than 2 years for the purposes of audit under the ODB program
Pharmacist Educational Requirements:
- Assessment to be conducted by a licensed Part A pharmacist or an intern or registered pharmacy student as long as the intern or student is under pharmacist supervision.
- $ 75 per year per patient, based on the date the recipient had his/her previous MedsCheck for Diabetes annual service – PIN 93899988; claim to be submitted on the date of service
- $ 25 per patient diabetes follow-up – PIN 93899989; claim to be submitted on the date of service
- Cannot conduct service over the phone or through video conferencing
- One review per year limit based on the date that the recipient had his/her previous MedsCheck for Diabetes Annual service
- The MedsCheck for Diabetes Follow-Up visit must take place at the same pharmacy that provided the annual diabetes assessment service.
- Not eligible for a MedsCheck LTC unless the patient becomes a resident of a LTC Home
Note: If a patient is diagnosed with diabetes and has received a MedsCheck Annual within the previous 12 months; this patient is eligible for a MedsCheck for Diabetes.
Please refer to the in-depth program information for more details.
The MedsCheck Program for Ontarians living with Diabetes [PDF]
To view PDF format files, you need to have Adobe Acrobat® Reader installed on your computer.
You can download this free software from the Adobe Web site.
For More Information
To learn more about MedsCheck talk to your Pharmacist or contact ServiceOntario, INFOline 1-866-255-6701 or TTY 1-800-387-5559