Health Workforce Planning and Regulatory Affairs Division

Supporting Internationally Educated Nurses

The ministry collaborates with various partners to support the integration of Internationally Educated Nurses (IENs) into Ontario's nursing workforce. These partners include :

  • College of Nurses of Ontario (CNO)
    The CNO provides a guide intended for nurses who received their nursing education outside Canada and who are not currently registered to practise nursing. Here, internationally educated nurses can find practical information and resources about the nursing profession in Ontario, as well as the requirements for becoming a Registered Nurse or Registered Practical Nurse in Ontario.

  • HealthForceOntario Access Centre
    The Access Centre offers a range of free services to support newcomers through the registration process.

  • Ministry of Citizenship and Immigration (MCI)
    MCI provides funding for bridging programs to support IENs who are preparing to work in Ontario. These bridging programs can help internationally educated nursing professionals gain the knowledge and information needed to register in Ontario.

  • Creating Access to Regulated Employment (CARE)
    CARE is an Ontario government program to help internationally educated nurses gain the knowledge and experience needed to pass the registration exam and practise nursing safely and confidently in Ontario.

  • Settlement.Org is government-funded site that provides an electronic community where newcomers can get information, read relevant news, ask questions and share their experiences with others, as well as access a database of community organizations.

  • Ontario Immigration
    Ontario Immigration provides a variety of programs and services for newcomers working in regulated professions. Each link below will take you to a page with information and resources on how to get licensed, get help and find work in that profession in Ontario.

For More Information

Health Workforce Planning Branch
Telephone: 416-327-8500