Public Information

Assistive Devices Program

About the Program

The Ontario Ministry of Health and Long-Term Care runs the Assistive Devices Program (ADP) to help people who have long-term physical disabilities get needed equipment and supplies.

In most cases ADP pays 75 per cent of an approved price.

For some kinds of supplies, such as ostomy and needles and syringes for insulin-dependent seniors, ADP pays an annual grant directly to the person.

If you are receiving social assistance benefits under Ontario Works (OW), Ontario Disability Support Program (ODSP) or Assistance to Children with Severe Disabilities (ACSD), you may be eligible to receive more money.

Who can apply for this help?

Any Ontario resident who has a long-term physical disability and has a valid Health Card issued in his or her name.

ADP eligibility criteria for each device type is different.

Are there income limits for ADP assistance?
No.  You are eligible for ADP whatever your income.
What if I receive benefits from Workplace Safety & Insurance Board or Department of Veterans’ Affairs (DVA)?
ADP does not pay for equipment available under Workplace Safety & Insurance Board or to Group ‘A’ veterans for their pensioned conditions.
What types of assistive devices does ADP fund?
  • Communication Aids
  • Insulin Syringes for Seniors
  • Enteral Feeding Equipment and Supplies
  • Hearing Devices: Hearing Aids, Bone Anchored Hearing Aids, Cochlear Implant Processors and Teletypewriters for the Deaf
  • Home Oxygen
  • Insulin Pumps and Supplies
  • Orthotic Devices
  • Ostomy Supplies
  • Pressure Modification Devices
  • Prosthetic Devices (Breast, Limb, Ocular, Maxillofacial)
  • Respiratory Equipment and Supplies
  • Visual Aids
  • Wheelchairs, Positioning Devices  and Ambulation Aids
  • Ventilator Equipment and Supplies
How do I apply for ADP assistance?

The steps are listed in the fact sheet and applicant information sheets.  Everyone must start with an application form.

If a medical assessment is required, who does it?

Usually a medical doctor who specializes in caring for people with your type of disability.  Some people may also be assessed by a team of health care professionals.  After examining you, the doctor will describe or confirm your physical problem on the form.  You will be asked to sign the form so your doctor can release your diagnosis to people who will help you select devices best suited to your needs.  If you can’t sign the form because of your disability, a family member, legal guardian or Power of Attorney may sign it for you.

What happens next?

Usually, your doctor will refer you to an ADP “authorizer”.  This is a health care professional registered with the ADP. 

The authorizer will determine whether you meet ADP eligibility criteria and help you decide which device is best for you. 

For some devices you will be referred to a clinic approved by ADP. 

Where do I find a supplier of my approved equipment?

You can usually get your device from a supplier who is a registered vendor with ADP.  However, if the device must be custom made, you will be referred to a professional who is trained to make the device.  These professionals are also registered with ADP.

What is a registered vendor?

A supplier who is approved by ADP.

ADP registered vendors agree to carry a wide range of products and have skilled staff to answer your questions.

Some ADP registered vendors can make a device designed to meet your special needs.

Can I get my equipment from a supplier not registered with ADP?

ADP covers most devices only if they are bought from a registered vendor.  The few exceptions to this are explained in the fact sheets.

Who does the supplier bill for my equipment?

Registered vendors bill ADP directly for its part of the approved cost of your equipment.  You pay your portion directly to the vendor.

Do I own the assistive devices I get through ADP?

Most devices, yes.  Some items are bought by ADP and loaned or rented to clients.  Information about this can be found in the fact sheets.

What if I want to buy a piece of equipment outside of Ontario?

Most of the time you must buy your equipment from an ADP registered vendor in Ontario.  However, a few vendors in nearby provinces are registered.  This makes it possible for people who live in northwestern Ontario, for example, to buy their devices and supplies from Manitoba vendors registered with ADP.

If I need to replace devices covered by ADP, who pays for them?

If your doctor or authorizer says your equipment is no longer suitable because of a change in your condition or body size, the ADP will contribute to the cost of replacing it.

If your equipment is worn out, no longer under warranty and beyond repair at a reasonable cost, ADP may pay up to 75 per cent of the cost of a replacement.

ADP will not pay for replacement equipment that is lost, stolen or damaged due to misuse. Clients are encouraged to buy insurance to cover the cost of replacement in these cases.

Will my insurance company pay my share of the equipment cost?

Many will.  If you have private medical coverage, check with your insurer or agent.

What if I can’t afford to pay my share of the equipment cost?

Help is available.  A number of groups may pick up your part of the equipment expense.  These include voluntary/charitable organizations (such as the Easter Seal Society or the March of Dimes), other provincial government programs and some municipal social service departments.  These groups may also contribute to the cost of devices not listed in the ADP manual.

How do I find out more about the device I need?

Our series of fact sheets gives you details about all assistive devices funded by the ADP.  Each fact sheet lists the equipment in a specific category.  It also describes the assessment process and explains how to get the equipment.

For More Information

Ministry of Health and Long-Term Care
Assistive Devices Program
7th Floor, 5700 Yonge Street
Toronto, ON M2M 4K5

Toronto 416-327-8804
Toll-free 1-800-268-6021
TDD/TTY 416-327-4282
TDD/TTY 1-800-387-5559
Fax 416-327-8192