Public Information

Assistive Devices Program

Questions and Answers

Can I get help to buy medical devices?

You may receive help to buy needed equipment and supplies if you have a long­term physical disability. The Assistive Devices Program (ADP) can help you with these costs.

In some cases, ADP pays up to 75 per cent of the cost of items like orthopedic braces, wheelchairs and breathing aids.

In other cases, ADP contributes a fixed amount, such as for hearing aids for adults, breast prostheses and artificial limbs.

ADP pays an annual grant directly for ostomy supplies and needles and syringes for insulin­dependent seniors.

The home oxygen program (HOP), under ADP, pays the full cost of home oxygen if you are 65 or over or on Home Care, social assistance or living in a long­term care facility. It pays 75 per cent of the cost for anyone else.

What types of equipment are covered?

Categories of Assistive Devices covered

  • communication aids
  • diabetes supplies
  • enteral feeding equipment supplies
  • hearing aids
  • orthotic devices
  • ostomy supplies
  • home oxygen supplies
  • pressure modification devices
  • prosthetic devices
  • respiratory supplies and equipment
  • TDDs/TTYs
  • visual aids
  • wheelchairs, positioning and ambulation aids.

See a detailed list of devices covered in each category.

See a detailed list of devices not covered in each category.

Who is eligible for assistance?

Some ADP items are available to any OHIP-insured person, but other items are restricted to certain age groups and people who meet the medical criteria. There is no age restriction on the home oxygen program (HOP), but you must meet medical criteria.

How do I apply?

You can get fact sheets and applications from the Ministry of Health. Fact sheets on each category of equipment show medical conditions and approvals you need to get help. The fact sheet or application form for each category of equipment lists the steps to apply.

For ADP, you sometimes need a physician and usually an ADP Authorizer to approve your application. For the home oxygen program (HOP), you only need a physician.

My child has a disability that results in chronic incontinence. Can I get help with the cost of incontinence supplies?

Contact the Easter Seal Society at 1-888-ESS-KIDS or 1-888-377-5437 or write to:

The Easter Seal Society
Incontinence Supplies Program for Children & Youth with Disabilities
1185 Eglinton Avenue East, Suite 706
Toronto, Ontario
M3C 3C6

Learn more about this program

For More Information

Ministry of Health and Long-Term Care
Assistive Devices Program
7th Floor, 5700 Yonge Street
Toronto, ON M2M 4K5

Toronto 416-327-8804
Toll-free 1-800-268-6021
TDD/TTY 416-327-4282
TDD/TTY 1-800-387-5559
Fax 416-327-8192