Public Information

Assistive Devices Program

Ostomy Supplies

Who can apply?

Any resident of Ontario with a valid Ontario Health card issued in their name, who has a colostomy, ileostomy, fecal continent reservoir, urostomy, ileal conduit or urinary continent reservoir. The ostomy must be permanent, or temporary if required for at least six months.

The ADP does not pay for supplies for persons with a temporary ostomy required for less than six months.

The ADP does not pay for supplies for patients of acute or chronic care hospitals.

The ADP does not pay for supplies available under the Workplace Safety & Insurance Board (WSIB) or to Group '‘A'’ Veterans for their pensioned conditions.

What do I do first?

You begin by getting an Application for Funding Ostomy Grant form.

The form can be downloaded and printed from the ADP website or by calling the ADP directly.

Do I fill in the entire application form?

No. Follow the instructions on the form. You and your doctor or nurse practitioner must both complete your sections of the form.

Do I need to see my doctor or nurse practitioner?

Yes. Your doctor or nurse practitioner must certify that you have a colostomy, ileostomy, urostomy, ileal conduit or continent pouch/reservoir that is permanent, or temporary if required for at least six months.

What happens next?

Make sure that the application form is completed in full and mail it to the ADP office in Toronto.

Where can I buy my ostomy supplies?

You may buy your ostomy supplies from any store in Ontario that sells these products.

Who will show me the proper way to put on my appliance?

Nurses who have had special training, called enterostomal therapists, can help you decide on the best product. They will teach you how to use your ostomy appliance.

Enterostomal therapists work in hospitals, or local health care agencies that provide visiting nurse services. If this kind of service is not available in your community, you may go to a home health care supply outlet or pharmacy where they may have people on staff who can help you.

How much money will I get to help pay for my ostomy supplies?

If you have one ostomy, you are eligible to receive $975 per year.

If you have two ostomies, for example, a colostomy and a urostomy, you will receive $$1,950 per year.

If you are receiving social assistance benefits under Ontario Works (OW), Ontario Disability Support Program (OSDP), or Assistance to Children with Severe Disabilities (ACSD), you may be eligible to receive $1,300 annually per ostomy.

Residents of long-term care homes are eligible to receive $1,300 annually per ostomy.

For income tax purposes, you may be able to claim  expenditures that exceed the amount of your grant.

How will payments be made?

Payments can be deposited directly into your bank account. Please call 1-800-267-9458 to set up direct deposit.

Otherwise you will receive two payments by cheque in equal amounts, the first about six weeks after we receive your application and the other about six months later.

How often must I apply?

A renewal form will be mailed to you every two years. You must complete and return this form to the ADP to continue receiving your ostomy grant. After this form is returned, the ADP will continue to automatically send you payments every six months for the following two years.

I am a resident of a long-term care home. How can I have payment sent to the facility?

You or your agent must indicate the name and address of the home in Section 3, Applicant’s Consent and Signature part of the application form.

Will my insurance cover any additional costs?

Some private insurance plans will. If you have private medical coverage, check with your insurer or agent to see if they will pay for your additional costs.

Must I keep my paid receipts?

Yes. You must keep copies of the receipts for your ostomy supplies for 2 years. The Ministry of Health and Long-Term Care may ask you to produce receipts to confirm your claim.

Will OHIP tell ADP when I have changed my address or surname?

No. It is your responsibility to notify both the ADP and OHIP whenever you change your address or name. Failure to do so may result in cancellation of your grant.

I lost my Health card and now have a new one. Does ADP need to be notified?

Yes. ADP automatically checks your Health card number and date of birth with the OHIP database before making a payment to you. If something does not match, your payment will not be issued.

For More Information

Ministry of Health and Long-Term Care
Assistive Devices Program
7th Floor, 5700 Yonge Street
Toronto, ON M2M 4K5

Toronto 416-327-8804
Toll-free 1-800-268-6021
TDD/TTY 416-327-4282
TDD/TTY 1-800-387-5559
Fax 416-327-8192