What is Ontario doing to improve our drug programs?
As the ministry works to improve Ontario’s drug programs, we are guided by two top concerns:
- to provide Ontario residents with better access to today’s best proven drug treatments
- to get better prices for our drugs so we can re-invest the money saved back into the system.
- Launched the MedsCheck program.
Lets you schedule a 20-30 minute meeting with your pharmacist to ensure you are taking your medications safely.
- Developed Ontario’s Narcotics Strategy.
Promotes the proper use of prescription narcotics and other controlled substances while working to reduce drug abuse and addiction.
- In partnership with Cancer Care Ontario developed the Evidence Based Program.. Ontario is moving forward with a program for specific cancer drugs, where emerging evidence shows strong promise to benefit patients.
- Created a Citizens' Council.
Gives you a forum to provide opinions about the province’s drug policy.
- Set up a Pharmacy Council.
Provides expert advice to the ministry to help develop drug-related policy.
Through these actions, we aim to create a stronger, more effective system in five key areas:
- Improving patient access to the drugs they need.
- Ensuring better value for money. For instance, with the changes we have made in the last 6 years to Ontario’s drug system, we have cut the cost of most generic drugs in half. Learn more now about Fair drug prices
- Promoting the proper use of medications.
- Investing in health system drug research such as the Drug Innovation Fund
to advance the research into the value of medicines.
- Strengthening the transparency and accountability of Ontario’s public drug system.
For More Information
Call ServiceOntario, Infoline at 1-866-532-3161
In Toronto, 416-314-5518
In Toronto, TTY 416-327-4282
Hours of operation : 8:30am - 5:00pm