Home, Community and Residential Care Services

Personal Support

Personal Support refers to a range of essential daily activities that help maintain your physical well-being. There are many titles given to workers who provide such types of care. These may include, "Personal Support Worker", "Health Care Aides", "Personal Care Workers" or "Attendants". A worker providing personal support visiting your home can help you with:

The staff providing personal support can assist you with your activities, help to ensure your safety while you complete the activities yourself, or train another person, such as your caregiver, to help you.

Arranging for these services

The Community Care Access Centre (CCAC) can help you with defining your needs and situation, determining your eligibility for government-funded services, locating providers and applying for care. The CCAC can also provide information about the availability of financial subsidies for particular service options.

If you are eligible for government-funded personal support services, the services are arranged by the CCAC and paid for by the Ministry of Health and Long-Term Care. Otherwise, these services may be available directly through providers, in which case there will be a consumer fee for these services. Contact your local Community Care Access Centre to find out whether you are eligible for the government-funded services.

Who determines eligibility for government-funded services?

The CCAC determines your eligibility.

What happens if I am eligible?

The CCAC will co-ordinate your application and select the provider.

What happens if I am not eligible or wish to make my own arrangements?

You can apply directly to a provider that you select. The CCAC can assist you with finding a provider. See the Finding a Provider page.

For More Information

Call ServiceOntario, Infoline at 1-866-532-3161
In Toronto, 416-314-5518
TTY 1-800-387-5559
In Toronto, TTY 416-327-4282
Hours of operation : 8:30am - 5:00pm