Public Information

Ministry Programs

Ontario Health Insurance Plan

Every Ontarian deserves the opportunity to safely travel abroad. That’s why Ontario’s government is launching a new program to fund out-of-country dialysis services, ensuring that Ontarians living with kidney failure can continue to have access to the care they need when they are travelling outside of Canada.

Starting January 1, 2020, this new program will be operated by the Ontario Renal Network with funding from the Ontario government and patients will receive the same reimbursement rates as currently provided through existing programs.

The launch of the new program to fund out-of-country dialysis services will coincide with the wind down of the limited Out-of-Country Travellers Program. Insured Ontario residents will continue to receive coverage for physician and hospital services when visiting or moving to another Canadian province or territory. Ontarians travelling abroad are encouraged to purchase the appropriate travel insurance coverage in the event emergency health care is needed out of country. Most Ontarians already have travel health insurance through their workplace plans or credit cards.

OHIP Out of Country Services

Looking to learn about what medical services are covered by Ontario's Health Insurance Plan (OHIP) outside of Ontario? This is a great place to start. The following section provides helpful advice and information on OHIP coverage for :

Ontario’s Health Insurance Act and R.R.O. 1990, Regulation 552 provides the legislative authority for administration and operation of Ontario’s Health Insurance Plan.

Please Note : If you are travelling to the U.S. you will be required to present: a government-issued photo ID, such as a driver’s licence, plus a birth certificate or a citizenship card; or a valid passport; or for those 18 and under, a birth certificate. Canadian citizens flying to or through the U.S. must present a valid Canadian passport. Starting June 1, 2009, a U.S. law will require Canadians to present a valid passport to enter the United States by water or land. To find out more about document requirements, please visit or call 1-800-622-6232.

Travellers - Emergency medical care required for those traveling outside of Canada with valid OHIP coverage Prior Approval - Medical care required outside of Canada recommended by your Ontario Physician and pre-approved with OHIP before the services are rendered Physicians - Physician's guide to helping patients through the prior approval application process
For More Information

Call ServiceOntario, Infoline at 1-866-532-3161
In Toronto, 416-314-5518
TTY 1-800-387-5559
In Toronto, TTY 416-327-4282
Hours of operation : 8:30am - 5:00pm