Organ and Tissue Donation
To increase organ and tissue donations, Ontario has changed the way donation decisions of Ontarians are recorded. Now only a “Yes” to organ and tissue donations will be collected.
One organ and tissue donor can save up to eight lives and enhance as many as seventy-five more. By registering your consent to donate today, you can positively impact the lives of many Ontarians in need of organ and tissue transplants.
If you are 16 years of age or over, you can register your consent to donate your organs and/or tissue upon your death. You may complete a Gift of Life Consent Form - Organ and Tissue Donor Registration (3750-84) and submit it to ServiceOntario.
You can obtain a registration form by :
- Accessing the Form 3750-84 [PDF] directly
- Accessing the Ministry of Health and Long-Term Care web site Forms Page
- Accessing the Trillium Gift of Life Network web site
- Accessing the Healthy Ontario web site
- Visiting your local ServiceOntario - Health Card Services - OHIP office or Outreach site
Include your health number, name, date of birth, and address on the form. You can indicate whether you are willing to donate your organs and/or tissue for transplant, or for transplant and research. Transplant and research means that the organs and tissue will be removed the same as for transplant. Your body is still available and presentable for a funeral.
This is not the same as giving your whole body to science or to a medical school. You can also indicate if there are organs or tissue you do not wish to donate.
If you are printing the online form please use white paper only. After completing and signing the form, return it to your local ServiceOntario - Health Card Services - OHIP office, Outreach site or mail it to the address shown on the top of the form.
You can change or withdraw your consent at any time by visiting your local ServiceOntario - Health Card Services - OHIP office, Outreach site or mailing your changes to the address shown below. Please include your health number, name, date of birth, and address.
Organ Donor Consent
PO Box 48
Kingston, ON K7L 5J3
When registering your consent to donate :
- If you have a photo health card, you will be sent a new card. It will be the same as your current card but will have :
- A new "card version code" (two letters printed beside your Health Number to show that this is now the current card)
- The words "donor / donneur" on the back of the card
- A code on the back of the card representing your choices
- If you have a red and white health card, you will not receive a new card.
You can register your consent at any time while :
- Registering for health insurance coverage (for the first time)
- Getting a new card (if you have lost or damaged your card)
- Renewing your card
- Changing information on your health card
Even if you have no other business with the ministry you may still register your consent at any time. This information is stored in a Ministry of Health and Long-Term Care (MOHLTC) database.
ServiceOntario on behalf of MOHLTC will use and disclose your organ donation information at the appropriate time to the Trillium Gift of Life Network, Ontario's organ and tissue donation agency, only for the purpose of ensuring that your donation information is known.
It is important that you tell your family your wishes to ensure your decision is known so that your family can convey your decision to your health care team.
For answers to your questions about the organ and tissue donation process in Ontario, or to learn more about organ and tissue donations, visit www.giftoflife.on.ca or call: 1-800-263-2833.